Hi- it’s been about forever since I’ve posted anything. I keep planning on doing some posts when I get some free time but mysteriously this thing called “free time” never materializes! Wanted to share this recipe- perfect for summer and my kids love it! Also, if you are looking for a new cookbook, I’ve tried 6-7 recipes from Danielle Walker’s Against All Grain: Meals Made Simple: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, and Paleo Recipes to Make Anytime and we have loved all of them (even though we are neither grain free or dairy free :)). The original recipe calls for two pounds of chicken but we like them better with salmon!
California Chicken Wraps
serves about six
– 10 wraps (her cookbook includes a recipe for grain free wraps- I just buy sprouted tortilla wraps from the store)
– 12 ounces of salmon
– sea salt and cracked black pepper
– 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
– 1 tablespoon honey
– 12 slices bacon
– 2 avocados, sliced
– 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
– 1/2 cup Herb Ranch Dressing (see recipe below)
1. Season salmon with salt and pepper.
2. Mix together Dijon mustard and honey. Spread half over the salmon, reserving the rest for basting. Allow the salmon to marinate while the grill heats.
3. Heat the grill to medium- high heat, then reduce to medium. Grill the salmon, until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Brush on the remaining honey mustard sauce during the last minute of grilling.
4. Meanwhile, cook the bacon until crisp. I like to use the griddle when making a large amount of bacon at once! Set on paper towels.
5. Allow salmon to rest for several minutes, then slice.
6. Assemble the wraps with the salmon, bacon, avocado, lettuce, and a drizzle of dressing.
Herb Ranch Dressing
You will use about half of this dressing for the recipe above.
– 1 cup mayonnaise
– 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
– 2 cloves garlic, crushed
– 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
– 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
– 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
– 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients. Refrigerate up to three days.
A few notes- finally, a homemade ranch dressing without canola oil that actually tastes like ranch! Love it! If you don’t happen to have fresh herbs on hand, buying them can get expensive. I’ve made this recipe leaving some out or using dried herbs and it still turned out great. Or. . .just use the bottle of ranch in your fridge.